<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, June 20, 2005

Fun / Not Fun 

Father's Day with your child and wife? Fun.

Parties with friends? Fun.

The Diamondbacks right now? Not fun.

I'd forgotten that Cleveland is in the Eastern time zone, and by the time I remembered, I turned on the TV shortly after 5 PM Friday night to see the Diamondbacks mercifully make the last out and exit the 3rd inning trailing 10-6. (They ended up losing to the Indians 13-6.)

That's when I decided that I didn't have the time this weekend to deal with a team who just isn't playing well right now. And so I didn't watch another second of the games this weekend.

Which is too bad, I guess, because Saturday's and Sunday's games were pretty good, apparently. I mean, if you had told me Friday morning that the Diamondbacks would get two well-pitched complete games this weekend, I would have taken that, gladly, and spent some time watching it. But Brandon Webb's and Shawn Estes' solid outings resulted in 3-1 and 3-2 losses that didn't do much but:
1) pulled the Diamondbacks' actual record closer to their Pythagorean record
2) pulled them to .500.
3) got somebody seriously peeved at Jose Cruz, Jr.

Now, if I weren't swamped right now, I might spend time crafting a little return visit by Little Miss .500, or perhaps do something Clue-like regarding Cruz's Vader (my money is on Mr. Estes in the locker room with the eye-black).

But blaming my lack of writing on my own schedule just avoids the issue that the team isn't playing great right now. The fact that they're still in 2nd place in the NL West, just 3 1/2 games behind the Padres, is somewhat amazing to me.

I would've spent the weekend with my family and friends anyway, but right now I don't feel conflicted about missing the series.

*********************

By the way, don't miss the Point/Counterpoint with Jim on the D-Backs' offseason maneuvers.

*********************

In Rotation - June 20, '05
Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
World Party - Goodbye Jumbo
Kasey Chambers - Barricades & Brickwalls
Kim Richey - Bitter Sweet

Comments: Post a Comment