<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, September 26, 2005

I Should Or Should Not Stop Watching Baseball. Discuss. 

Yeah, I know I said not to look at the standings. But it's hard when the stupid Padres won't get their stupid act straight and win a stupid series against the Diamondbacks, who everybody thinks are just about the worst team in baseball.

Except that we're not. (Yeah, I'm lookin' at you, Los Angeles Dodgers of Los Angeles. And, yes, I figured that the expiration date on those "City Name Nickname of City Name" jokes was just about here, and therefore I wanted get one last shot in, no matter how pointless and, I'm sure, unoriginal.)

I actually still read the Sports section first thing each morning, even if I knew who won.

I have a life, people! (Or, rather, I did last year when the Diamondbacks were eliminated in, oh, May.) I've been looking at my upcoming schedule -- my social calendar, as it were -- and I am just full booked up here. Have been since Labor Day -- heck, since long before Labor Day.

Do I have time to read the Sports section obsessively? No. Do I look like someone who wants to be trapped in front of the television when the weather is cooling off and my daughter has soccer practice? No. Do I seem like the person who would pad this rant out to a third question to reinforce the "rule of three"? Er...

And so while I'm happy that we successfully attained my goal numbers 1, 2, and 4 with our series victory over the Padres (with goal numbers 3 and 5 through 9 still possibilities), the fact that #10 -- making the playoffs -- is still possible is both giddy and annoying.

I love extra-inning victories. For our team. But it's almost October, and it's time for us Arizonans to escape our hermetically sealed air-conditioned environments and reacquaint ourselves with the outside world.

Still, I just have one thing to say for tonight, and that is, Go Giants!

Old habits die hard.

Comments:
It certainly doesn't help when the Padres drop their first game at San Francisco- on a blown Trevor "My Third Least Favorite Closer in Baseball" Hoffman. My brain starts jumping to mad conclusions- "The Padres have hit a slump. If the Giants can sweep, and we maul the Dodgers, we could go in to San Francisco with them tied for first, and us two games out. San Diego would never recover from a skid like that, so we'd be playing the Giants for the division!"

*Very* slim possibility. But it's still interesting.
 
Post a Comment