<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, August 18, 2005

Teetering 

Working out this morning, I heard the Gin Blossoms' "Hey Jealousy," which I am nominating for Best Song Ever From Arizona. (I'm not clear who exactly is running this award, but that's an unimportant detail.) Seriously -- an incredible hook, great guitar work, and wonderful lyrics about someone who feels like a loser and desperately wants or needs love. I loved the song the first time I heard it 12 years ago, and I've loved it ever since. (You want to nominate some other song? Let me know in the comments below. Stevie Nicks doesn't count because Fleetwood Mac did all their work in LA.)

The song and its lyrics about a relationship doomed to failure spoke to me this morning as I thought about the Diamondbacks in the wake of their second straight anemic game against the Cardinals, a 5-0 loss Wednesday night. I'm trying not to get caught in the over-analysis of small sample size. Yes, it's the fourth loss in a row for the Diamondbacks, but the Diamondbacks this year have shown a repeated tendency not to go on the kind of skid the Padres suffered through (let alone one of Royalsian length). This week is starting out just like last week -- two losses in a row (while the Padres split their first two games) -- so I'm hopeful that tonight's game will be like last week, yielding a win for our team heading into a series against a team without the best record in baseball. After all, Diamondbacks ace Claudio Vargas takes the mound tonight. (Yes, I said "Diamondbacks ace Claudio Vargas," a phrase which Google has no record of. But over the past 30 days, Vargas' ERA of 1.83 is more than twice as good than any other starter.)

How many times does it take for somebody to hurt you in little (or big) ways before you move on to someone or something else? Now, clearly we're Diamondbacks fans, and so the "someone" is really the 2006 Diamondbacks, not some other team. But like that one great golf shot out of ten (or twenty, in my case), the 2005 Diamondbacks do something well just often enough to keep you hooked.

So here it is -- are the Diamondbacks going to make one final effort to go straight, or is it time to write them off?

****************

Oh, a shout-out to CardNilly, a Cardinals blog (natch) kind enough to link here. An amusing writing style -- check it out to see how the other (better) half lives.

Comments: Post a Comment