<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, June 06, 2005

Love Is A Many-Splintered Thing 

For Mother's Day I told my wife I would make her a new cover for our clothes dryer, which sits just outside our back door. The old one, present when we moved into our house, had deteriorated badly, and needed to be replaced.

I finally got around to doing it yesterday, after having done some preliminary work on a couple other weekends.

Six hours later, I had splinters all over my knuckles, was experiencing lower back pain, had exhausted my supply of sotto voce curse words, and was wondering whether it wouldn't have been better to just move the *!@#!@& dryer indoors and buy a cabinet to cover both the washer and dryer.

The fact that I missed the Diamondbacks baseball game was the least of my worries.

But, frankly, this team has been frustrating to watch as of late. The double-header Saturday, er, sigh... I mean, if you had told me that the Diamondbacks would lose two games 10-6 and 5-3 with Javier Vazquez and Russ Ortiz on the mound, I never would've guessed that Vazquez pitched the first game and Ortiz the second. Vazquez extended his "no-walk" streak, but I guess that's because he was grooving the pitches right down the middle of the plate -- 10 hits and 8 runs in 4 innings. At least the Diamondbacks came back (I turned the TV off shortly after I turned it on at about 4 PM and saw them trailing 10-1), causing the Phillies to use 4 pitchers, just like the Diamondbacks. Ortiz, eh. At least he pitched 7 innings.

And yesterday's game... well, I might've actually enjoyed that game if I wasn't busy breaking all my drill bits. OK, I would've been mildly peeved about the whole homerun/double controversy, but getting angry about home improvement projects has a way of putting emotions regarding sports into... perspective.

Comments: Post a Comment