<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

If You Told Me At The Beginning Of The Season... 

... that the Diamondbacks would go into the ballpark of the team with the best record in baseball and beat them 8-1, I would've been, at most, mildly surprised.

If you told me Shawn Estes would throw a complete game 1-run in that win over the Chicago White Sox, I would've thrown my back out doing a double take.

The man pitched lights out, no two ways about it. 8 hits, no walks, 5 K's. In just 108 pitches.

It was a sign of how badly the bullpen has pitched recently that even as I listened to Chris Snyder send one out of the ballpark, then Gonzo, then Glaus, as the Diamondbacks jumped out to a 7-0 lead in the top of the 2nd and the boos rained down on Jose Contreras, I worried about the bullpen giving up the lead. A seven-run lead, and I'm thinking that the lead isn't safe.

It would be cliched to say that might have been the most important victory of the season so far. A big offensive outburst matched by a strong pitching performance.

But sometimes cliches still hold some truth.

*******************

In Rotation - June 14, '05
Fountains of Wayne - Welcome Interstate Managers
Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Guster - Lost and Gone Forever
Tift Merritt - Tambourine
Dvorak's String Quartets #14 and #12 ("American")

Comments: Post a Comment