<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, May 09, 2005

Three Weeks: Hubris Edition 

"So I guess what I'm saying is, if the D-Backs don't take at least 3 of these 4 games against the Pirates and have a winning record for the week, I'll be disappointed." -- A hubris-laden Diamondbacks fan last week

Color me disappointed.

The Week That Was

Record: 3-4 (overall: 18-14, 2.0 GB Dodgers)
Runs Scored/Runs Allowed: 4.2 - 4.8 (high/low removed, thankfully)
Transactions: Jose Valverde off the DL, Scott Hairston to Tucson (5/3); Kerry Ligtenburg signed from Tucson, Randy Choate DFAed (5/4)

What can you say? After winning a series against the Giants that the D-Backs probably shouldn't have, they look absolutely anemic against the Pirates. The pitching was tolerable -- not great, but not awful either. The blame for the series loss to the Pirates can be placed squarely at the feet of the offense. Apparently nobody told them that they'd returned to Bank One Ballpark, in which their offense was supposed to be light-years better. Urgh.

I don't know whether to be happy that the D-Backs are still in 2nd place in the NL West or to be frustrated in that they really should be tied with the Dodgers right now.

The Weeks That Will Be

3 at home vs. the Nationals
10 on the road (4 at Colorado, day off, 3 at Houston, 3 at Detroit)

Ugh. The Nationals. We've lost 9 in a row to this team. And that was when they were lousy. Looking at today's Pythagenport records, and the Nationals have -- you are sitting down, right? -- the best record in baseball. Absolutely stunning. We're lucky that Vazquez will be pitching in this series, but -- and I can't believe that I'm saying this -- winning this series would make me very, very happy and exceed my expectations. As for the rest of the week, we really need to win the Rockies' series but am not getting a warm and fuzzy feeling from the offense right now. In other words, I'm thinking about a 3-4 record for the week.

Personnel-wise, the biggest question is what will happen when Jose Cruz Jr. returns to the Diamondbacks. Will McCracken be gone? Will Terrero be gone? Will a no-name pitcher (presumably Bruney) be gone? And, will it matter? I mean, I've built up Jose Freakin' Cruz Jr. in my mind as Willie Mays. What if he's barely Willie Mays Hays?

Ugh.

Comments: Post a Comment