<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, May 23, 2005

Changing Bandwagons 

That rumbling you heard in the Valley of the Sun over the past 24 hours was thousands of people jumping off the Suns' bandwagon as the Spurs took Game 1 of their series 121-114. Seriously, just reading the paper this morning and listening to talk radio... it's a seven-game series, people!

But to those of you who've given up on the Suns, let me introduce you to a new bandwagon getting ready to leave the station -- the Arizona Diamondbacks.

Ignore the Pythagorean record. Ignore the offense that still isn't running on all cylinders just yet. Ignore the bullpen that, just like most, fills you unease.

Just focus on Javier Vazquez. On Sunday, a day after the bullpen (er, Brian Bruney) blows a 2-1 lead in bottom of the 11th, a day after the offense left the bases loaded in the 7th and 9th inning, Vazquez delivered exactly what the Diamondbacks needed. A complete game shutout, helping the Diamondbacks win by the slimmest of margins, 1-0. 5 hits, 7 strikeouts, and, for the 5th game in a row, no walks.

And did I mention that Vazquez did this after a 3-hour, 14-minute rain delay? Now, all else being equal, I'd've preferred the game started at the 10:05 scheduled start, because my daughter took an early nap and my wife was running errands, which would've left a nice window to enjoy the game all by myself. It didn't work out that way, so I didn't get to see nearly as much of the game as I would've liked.

I know the 7-3 road trip came against 3 teams with worse records. But it's a 7-3 road trip. It was a road trip in which Brandon Webb had a no-hitter going through 6+ innings in a 6-1 victory on Friday that I'm barely even mentioning (even on the radio, his stuff sounded just filthy). It was a road trip that saw the Diamondbacks reclaim 1st place in the National League West.

Suns fans, please stay on the Suns' bandwagon a little while longer -- I don't think the Suns are toast just yet.

Besides, the Diamondbacks will still be here when the bandwagon finally stops, be that next weekend or three weeks from now.

Comments: Post a Comment