<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, August 26, 2004

How To Bunt 

Part of the allure of the Summer Olympics is the fantasy that, with practice, we could be there in some of the events. I could play handball! How hard could racewalking be? I've played beach volleyball at the Monastery! This is a lie, of course, but those sports look easier than, say, weightlifting or water polo or the balance beam.

So it is with baseball. The ability to throw a ball 95 MPH or hit that 95 MPH fastball into the right-field bleachers (I'm a lefty); that strikes me as impossible. (Especially since my baseball experience is limited to a couple graduate school seasons of softball.) But bunting, bunting seems like something I could do, at least with some practice. I'm not talking about a perfect drag down the line, legged out for a base hit, but just a simple sacrifice.

The fantasy makes it harder for me to understand by Scott Hairston couldn't get a bunt down in the ninth inning with runners on 1st and 2nd and nobody out. Two missed bunts, then watching strike three. Then Carlos Baerga grounds into a double play. Game over, and another frustrating game by Randy Johnson, who uncharacteristically gives up two home runs which prove to the difference. 2-1 Pirates, both in the game and the series.

Maybe the D-Backs should check out their own video... (see "Baseball: Bunting" section about 1/3rd of the way down the page -- it includes an ASU and a former Diamondback's video).

******
Edgar Gonzalez is moving to the bullpen. A shame, even if Pedrique says it's not a demotion, since Gonzalez had finally shown some flashes of, if not brilliance, at least competence in the starters' position.

Comments:
Hello,

My name is Evan Brunell, I am the owner of the Most Valuable Network (www.mostvaluablenetwork.com) and also write for the Red Sox at Fire Brand of the American League (www.firebrand.mostvaluablenetwork.com). We've been looking for a Arizona Diamondbacks writer to go along with Lubo Merkov at Out in the Desert, and we came across your site. I personally think you would be a good fit for MVN, I think you have good quality writing. Would you be interested in joining the Most Valuable Network as a Diamondbacks writer? If yes or no, please do let me know, also any other questions you might have. A quick rundown of the FAQ:

Do you approve the posts or can I just write?
Your site, your blog. We give writers 100% freedom on what to write.

Can I put my own links or categories?
Yes. You just can't touch the MVN Links or MVN Writers links.

That's basically the FAQ at the moment. You would also receieve an MVN e-mail account. Well, thanks for reading. Please do let me know either way you decide. Thanks.
 
Post a Comment