<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, July 01, 2004

Why I Blog, Really 

As the D-Backs head into a 3-game series against our archrivals, the Minnesota Twins... scratch that.

I've been writing this blog for about 2 1/2 months now, and it's been an enjoyable process. I've become a much better student of the game (while realizing how little I know) and a slightly better writer. I owe a number of bloggers some thanks -- I'll get around to that next week.

But to be honest, dear readers, you really have two Twins bloggers -- John Bonnes' TwinsGeek and Anne Ursu's Batgirl -- to thank or blame for my presence here.

When I started, back before anybody was reading this, I wrote that I was "looking for a venue in which I get paid nothing to express my opinions on subjects I'm not a comparative expert on."

OK. I lied. Not about "not [being] a comparative expert" on baseball -- that much is blatantly true. But the reason I went to Blogger, came up with a crazy name, and started writing about baseball was that one day I went to the Star-Tribune's website. I do this on a semi-regular basis, having lived in Minnesota a couple different times in my life. (Oddly enough, even though I was at BOB for Game Seven of the 2001 World Series, going nuts, the only baseball souvenirs I have in my office are a 1987 AL Champions pennant and an infamous Homer Hanky from the same year. See, I told you I have a complicated history with the Twins.)

On that day, I read an entry about John going to a Twins game with his kids. It was well-written, it included stats, and was amusing. It had me hooked -- hey, I could try doing that. (Note: Not "I could do that.")

And then, as I was pondering the whole Blogger thing, I stumbled (maybe that same day, maybe the next, maybe the next week, oh I was such a crazy kid back in mid-April!) across Batgirl's website, which can only be described as unique amongst the baseball blogs I've seen. I think I started reading within a day or two of her starting up the blog, and haven't stopped. She's a Lego-obsessed, Photoshoppin', poetry-judgin' Twins fan with a motto of "Less stats, more sass."

And about a week later, I started writing this thing. I had some pretense about wanting to use stats, but to be honest, I really wanted to sound much more like TwinsGeek and Batgirl, whose sites I think are fun reading even if you don't care about the Twins.

I don't at all, of course, but it's been fun trying to find my own voice. So thanks.

Comments: Post a Comment