<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, April 23, 2004

Weekend Thoughts 

A few other baseball thoughts:

1. I did want to make it clear that I wasn't jumping on the Danny Bautista bandwagon solely because of his out-of-his-mind performance on Thursday -- I'd been pondering this for a while. While I firmly believe that you can't make evaluations of long-term performance based on 15 games (that 20-game bar I set is coming up soon!), I do think that you should try to play the hot hand. And that means moving Bautista up in the order, no lower than 5th (which admittedly is only one spot higher than where he batted yesterday).
2. While we're at it, let's move Finley down some slots. Fins has always started slowly, then kicked into higher gear (though I haven't yet figured out where to get that data). Do I think his slow start this year means he's on the tail-end of his career? No. Take a look -- he really hasn't shown any drop-off over the past five years (2001 looks like an anomaly). Past performance is no indicator of future performance, but I'm willing to give Finley the benefit of the doubt here. But not at the leadoff position. Move him down in the order (maybe to 5th or 6th) until he (hopefully) heats up once more.
3. Pitching. Urgh. Maybe we should be looking once more at Finley (check out his pitching stats).

Comments: Post a Comment